Girls Middle School
1. Purpose and mission of the G.M.S. Division:
The Girls Middle School program enables our students to excel, offering them not only a solid base of knowledge and the skills necessary for successful living in the 21st century, but also core values and beliefs deeply integrated within them, drawn from their Torah learning and the high caliber general studies program. The vision which guides us is to challenge each young lady to strive for excellence –academically, personally, and spiritually.
2. Judaic Studies Overall objective:
The overall objective throughout all Limudei Kodesh(Judaic Studies) in the Girls Middle School is to enrich the lives of our students with meaningful and applicable insights gained from Torah study. Along with the skills necessary to independently access textual learning, the girls gain a positive connection to their rich heritage, thus perpetuating our long chain of tradition.
Delineated below are the curricular objectives per subject:
- Chumash - חומש Objective: To equip the students with the ability to independently access the knowledge and lessons that the Torah imparts through textual analysis. To improve fluency in reading and translating Psukim Rashi, and selected mephorshim from the Chumash. These skills will sharpen analytical and critical thinking skills through learning how to break down, question, and understand a Pasuk based on Rashi and selected meforshim/commentaries.
- Navi- נביא Objective: To gain a general knowledge of the basic storyline of the sefer studied, coupled with an in-depth examination of pertinent insights that the Navi is trying to convey to this generation. To improve textual skill ability of reading, translating, and understanding the pesukim of the navi and selected meforshim/commentaries.
- Dinim/Halacha- הלכה/ דינים Objective: Review and expand the students’ knowledge of the laws of each of the מצות, basic reasons for the laws, and concepts/ethics that the laws teach. This will equip the girls with the pride, knowledge, and appreciation for the nuances of the mitzvos as they strive to perfect their fulfillment of them.
- Parsha - פרשה Objective: To gain an understanding and general knowledge of the events that take place in each parsha. To be able to share applicable insights based on this information in the form of a dvar torah.
- Yedios Klalios- ידיעות כלליות Objective: To review and expand the general Judaic knowledge that is applicable to life as a practicing and learning Jewish person. To know selected and well known meamri chazal (sayings of our sages)in order to inculcate their lessons into our lives and learn from their teachings.
- Historia- הסטוריה Objective: To gain a historical context and sequence of major events that occurred in Jewish History. To broaden perspective and gain an understanding of the journey of the Jewish people and the triumphs and tribulations that they experienced during specific time periods.
3. General Studies
The essence of Middle School General Studies program is the balance between rigor, collegiality, camaraderie, fun and structure. The students in the Girls Middle School thrive on challenge, working together with one another, and the support and guidance they receive from their teachers and administrators. In our General Studies program, the students receive top-quality instruction designed to be creative and yet rigorous and structured to accommodate a variety of learning styles and modalities. The girls explore information, delve into factual topics, analyze data, and learn the skills necessary to be productive and successful citizens in high school and beyond. Our teachers design their lessons to incorporate the state and national curriculum standards with their own special, creative and engaging flair. No matter the subject, one must only visit a Girls Middle School General Studies class for a short time to feel the excitement and the witness the smiles on the students’ faces as they invest themselves in their daily learning endeavors.
Certainly, no matter the subject, our secular studies program is second to none and builds the skills, develops the confidence and provides the foundation for all future successes. And yet, it is not the excellence of our classes that makes this program the success that it is. Rather, it is the way our students are empowered daily, given powerful voices, work together and meet our myriad of challenging expectations academically, spiritually and socially that define the excellence of this program. We invite you to look deeply at our program. We encourage you to explore its many facets. We welcome you with pride in our program and in the girls that shine daily!
- Mathematics: In our Mathematics program, the students solidify their basic computation and analytical skills and move into Pre-Algebraic and Algebraic learning and reasoning. With a differentiated approach to instruction and learning, our math classes meet the ability and challenge level of each individual student.
- Language Arts: In this multi-faceted course, students are immersed in skills, content and literature. Our novel studies and writing expectations require the students to expand their horizons, challenge themselves, express their intellect and represent themselves in academic and yet creative ways.
- Social Studies: Whether in the 6th grade World History and Cultures course or the two-year, in-depth study of American History in 7th and 8th grade, the students are given the knowledge necessary to understand geography, historical significance, citizenship, and other skills integral to a well-rounded American. Incorporating projects, textbook learning, cooperative grouping and a strong reliance of the development of notetaking and study skill strategies, our Social Studies classes are lively and yet challenging.
- Science: Developing an awareness and mastery of Earth, Life and Physical Science concepts and skills, the students are challenged in this subject. Learning about the world around them and the forces that are in unseen motion, the students are immersed in this interactive and yet rigorous subject.
4.Extra–curricular Activities and Programming:
Extracurricular activities are an integral aspect of school life and are a means of developing knowledge, positive attitudes, sportsmanship, leadership, and effective human relation skills. The purpose of extracurricular activities is to enhance and extend student learning and experiences beyond the academic courses offered in the school and to create an active and vibrant student life. Each of our extra-curricular activities and programs are planned with clear objectives that facilitate the overall goals for our girls. Such activities and programming include:
• Student Advisory
• Home Economics
• Physical Education
• G.M.S Production
• MISSmor –after school learning program
• School Chagigot
• Rosh Chodesh Breakfasts
• Community Service Opportunities
• Bat-Mitzvah Breakfast